Wednesday, September 16, 2009

When did young people get so young?

Being a mature age student who is able to attend tutorials and lectures during working hours means that the other students are not other like minded adults (as they would be if I went to night time classes) but rather seventeen year old children.

While I am by no means old, I am still in my twenties, the kids that frequent my classes seem so young to me. Their language and clothing is so different to my own. Why the boys insist on wearing jeans two sizes to small for them with black pointy shoes is beyond me. The girls seem to wear a lot of short shorts and more makeup than I have cumulatively worn this calendar year.

They all seem to have cute nicknames for themselves which they insist on being called. Vivien is "V". Samantha is "Sam". No one goes by there full name.

I was amused to find out from my tutor that several forward guys had asked out their negotiation exercise partners after the exam. I was focused on negotiating a reasonable outcome for my firm under exam conditions and they were swapping digits?

I must give them credit for being nice to me though. Either I am really hip (this seems very unlikely) or they feel sorry for me (much more likely) because in each class a few students make friends with me. It is nice to have someone to sit with and talk to, although I don't know what I will do if I get invited to someone's 18th birthday. That would just be odd.

4 comments:

Givinya De Elba said...

I know. In my tiny mind, I am still the same girl I was when I was a 17 year old child at Uni, but then I realise that 17 was, ummm, 15 years ago, and SO much has changed. The 17 year old kids in Uni now were ...

(wait for it, this admission is having me doing deep breathing here ...)

TINY LITTLE TWO-YEAR-OLDS LIKE ANNA-LUCIA when I was in Uni.

Oh boy those 15 years screamed past too quickly.

I can only hope that God restores the years the locusts have eaten.

Femina said...

Yeah, when I started uni the 17 year olds were HALF MY AGE!! I wanted to smack them when they started talking about how awful it was that between lectures and home study they were expected to work up to 20 hours per week. Oh, poor baby... you're going to get an awful shock when you get your first job!

They were usually all pretty nice to me though, but it was disconcerting to say the least to realise that some of them were born the same year I left school.

Hippomanic Jen said...

I found myself saying "He's a nice boy" about a young fellow I met. I know I'm not an octogenarian yet, but sometimes...

Hey, at least as a mature age student you get the magic power of getting to the library book just mentioned in the lecture before anyone else can do it (or can't mature age students still do that? - I swear that in my day even if I left the lecture early and sprinted I couldn't beat the mature age student)

and don't even start me on the fact that there are kids in high school who look blankly at me when I mention Expo 88.

Femina said...

EXPO 88!!! We came up to Brisbane for that! The line for the Canada exhibit was enormous, as I recall...