Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The big 3-0

As one of my friends pointed out on facebook the other day "Numbers that follow numbers ending in 9 are important in a base-10 numerical system". This year my birthday ends in an 0. How momentous.

Actually I am not that fussed about it.

Perhaps this is the calm before the storm?

How do I feel about turning 30?
I don't really care.

I have achieved a lot in my life already so it is not as though I have wasted my time.

What am I going to do to celebrate?
whatever. Maybe a breakfast at a hotel in the city, maybe dinner at a local restaurant with 40 of my nearest and dearest.

What do I want for my birthday?
nothing.

Maybe a nice Cartier watch with some pretty diamonds? that isn't really nothing is it?

Is turning 30 a big deal to me?
Right now, no, it really isn't a big deal. Perhaps it should be and perhaps when I get to the day it will be but right now it feel like it will be just another birthday.


5 comments:

Givinya De Elba said...

I don't really remember my 30th. So it must have been a similarly low-key event!

Femina said...

I had a fun 30th (my friends put a band together and I had a bush dance) but I had my "crisis" at 31... because then I was not just 30 but OVER 30. And unmarried. And childless. And in a job I hated. And wondering what the heck I was doing.

I guess we all stress at different times about different things. Now I'm about to turn 39 and my only age-related stress is that I can't lose weight easily like I could in my 20s. Oh well... might go drown my sorrows in a packet of Tim Tams... :D

Kitty and Glen said...

As one who has recently turned 30, I felt like you - just another birthday, nothing to stress over, etc etc. What I DON'T like is looking in the mirror and seeing the signs of ageing, especially the increasing number of wrinkles. That's the real sign that you're getting older.

Still, better to be getting older than the alternative.

pam said...

Happy Birthday. When you turn the very big 5-0, then come talk to me. Of course by then I'll be the old, shrunken 7-0, so never mind.

Hippomanic Jen said...

Happy birthday! I had a lovely surprise dinner which was lovely and ...er... surprising. I did have a bit of a "no kids" crisis, but other than that it was fine.