Friday, September 11, 2009

Carbon Based Frustration

I had a very annoying incident with the IT department at work recently. I accidentally deleted one small but important excel document. I right clicked on it when in windows explorer and instead of clicking "rename" I clicked "delete". And because I wasn't really paying attention to what I was doing when it asked me if I really wanted to delete the document I clicked "Yes" even though the answer was "No, no, no, a thousand times NO". Perhaps if that had come up as an option I would have paid more attention?

To remedy my small understandable mistake I contacted the IT department to retrieve it. And several days later they did retrieve. Thanks IT boffins!

BUT in retrieving the file they saved this one excel document over a whole drive full of hundreds of folders with thousands of very very important documents in them!

I contacted them immediately, in mild hysterics, and "requested" that they ameliorate the issue. Several days later they dutifully retrieved the data. Good save boffins!

I was very happy and hugely relieved to have all the data back. I would have been in a world of hurt if they had lost it because there was a lot of information I could not duplicate. I was one happy customer, despite their mistake.

All that happiness was spoiled when I received an email confirming my issue had been resolved and the job had been closed. That in inself was fine except that in the summary of the issue they had written " LDHBE accidentally deleted the nvfkjdfvwfj drive". WTF? NO I DID NOT! YOU DID THIS YOU STUPID BOFFINS.

I left the email overnight to calm myself down and wrote a pleasant email the next day alerting them to the inaccuracy of their records and requesting they update them and email me to confirm this had been done.

I am waiting with baited breathe for a response. If they happen to call about it I have a notepad next to my work phone with words I would like to drop into the conversation. At the top of my list are unprofessional, disappointing, credibility and dishonest.

I might speak nicely but I can be mean if I want to be. I am LDHBE - dont mess with me!

2 comments:

Givinya De Elba said...

Oh no. Sad chain of events. I hate deleting important stuff. I sweat hot and cold when I realise what I've done.

Femina said...

I hate having to make that phone call... "Ummm... I think I may have deleted something important..." I'm sure there are kind and helpful IT people out there somewhere but I always manage to get the one who delights in making people like me feel like a complete idiot.