Monday, October 20, 2008

Recovery

I had really, really bad hay fever yesterday. The completely debilitating kind, with constant sneezing, and zero ability to think.

If you haven't suffered with hay fever yourself it is difficult to understand the intense discomfort that this condition creates. I get it as a result of my allergies. I am allergic to a whole range of things including dust, mold, some foods, animals and grasses.

I have been getting hay fever since I was in primary school. Over the years I have tried every antihistamine known to man, but now none of them work on me. I still take them occasionally just to check if they still work.

So what is it like to have hay fever?

Well it starts with sneezing. Then my nose simultaneously starts running and becomes completely blocked so I can't breath through it. Now as I blow my nose for the hundredth time I start to think that I am getting dehydrated, so I have a couple of glasses of water. And the sneezing continues and continues and now I have a very full bladder. It is unpleasant. By now the foggy head thing has started. I start to talk more slowly, I have to really concentrate to remember what I am talking about or what I am saying. And for some reason I am hot and sweating. I have a temperature and I am still sneezing. And this will last until I sleep it off, whether it starts at 8 am or 8 pm.

Why does all this happen?

My body thinks that when I get dust up my nose (or some other allergen into my system) that it needs to attack it. So it creates the sneezing, temperature etc

So you can imagine that I am not up to much while I am suffering from this.

Also in the last few years it has been affecting me for longer - while the hay fever will stop when I sleep, I am more and more often unable to do much the day after either.

Today for example, I slept for about 14 hours last night. I woke up a bit before 12 today and have spent all day resting. I am physically exhausted and will no doubt sleep well again tonight.

But through all this I am blessed. I have a wonderful husband who will always jump in and take care of me when I don't feel well. Last night he cooked veal schnitzel with parsley potatoes - doesn't it look great? It tasted even better!

3 comments:

Tom N-S Technical Blog said...

Glad you are feeling better baby and I am glad you like dinner :)

L
T

Hippomanic Jen said...

You should clone that man. I hope you're feeling better tomorrow.

Why do allergies just seem to get worse and worse as you get older?

Dee said...

Hi, stopping by to say hi. I get hayfever a bit, not as bad as you though. My trigger is dust mites/dust bunnies. shake an old blanket at me and I am gone....

The dry weather doesn't help much either.

Hope it gets under control soon