Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Great expectations

For work once I went to a leadership week. Now I know everyone else in the world hates these and will moan and groan and see no value in spending time doing this sort of thing BUT I love it!

I learned a lot in this week. One thing in particular, which has been hugely useful to me in my life, which I really honestly didn't know before.

Here is how it happened...

We were talking about how you know some things about yourself that no one else does, you know some things about yourself that everyone knows, and there are some things about yourself that you don't know and neither does anyone else. And then there are other things that you don't know about yourself that other people do know.

Now I have always been fairly self aware. I know how I react to things and I can effectively moderate myself. So I didn't really think that there was anything that other people know about me that I didn't know about myself. I was wrong.

As part of the week we had the opportunity to give each other feedback about what we though were the things that we knew about people that they didn't know about themselves.

Two brave and kind friends of mine told me something I had not worked out myself.

I am a perfectionist.

I know that seems like a big thing to not notice - but seriously I didn't know. But I am so glad they told me because it makes understanding how I react to some things so much easier.

For example, I may seem silly, but I think I am going to die if I don't get top marks for my two uni subjects this semester. I got back one terrible (read average) mark and it feels like the world is falling in.

There is a small chance that while working full time and managing a household I have set the bar just a little to high....

4 comments:

Joce said...

well done you for being honest and open with your friends. We can always learn more about ourselves and others... Oh, & btw, what is a "weekday vegan"?

Dee said...

Do the best you can, you still get a degree even without top marks!

Anonymous said...

I think that you're brilliant for managing to pass two subjects whilst working full time and managing a household! Most people simply can't manage their time well enough to even attempt what you are doing.

Louisa Claire said...

For a while in the past couple of years I have worked 4 days a week, studied 3 subjects and tried to run a household. During this time I was also responsible for organising our church camp so ended up working 5-6days a week while doing 3 subjects. It wasn't clever, I am happy to admit now and it certainly was totally exhausting. Do you think it's something to do with being a woman and wanting to achieve certain things in your/our/my life without sacrificing other things. Since my daughter was born I've found myself torn on many levels over this...great post! p.s. when can we feature your blog at WTBAY?