Friday, January 30, 2009

Under the Jacaranda

This painting by Godfrey River, which he painted in 1903 of himself and his later wife, is one of my favorites.

I have a print of it hanging my my dinning room. The colours of the flowers and that umbrella are amazing.

We have a Jacaranda tree in our front yard. It is bigger than this one - probably twice the size of our house. Every storm season Tom and I pray it won't fall on the house.

If we renovate our house this year it will be cut down to make way for the driveway. I will miss the beauty of the tree but not the fallen leaves that create a purple mush underfoot in Spring.

6 comments:

Tom N-S Technical Blog said...

Purple mush ... that is just so accurate :)

I will miss its beauty too

Tom

Hippomanic Jen said...

If you don't want it anymore can I have it?

Although the purple mush after flowering is a bit ickky. But then I like the purple carpet under the tree effect from a distance. - Never can make up my mind about anything.

Dee said...

Beautiful painting!

Swift Jan said...

I LOVE Jacaranda Trees!! CC's school is on a street called Jacaranda Street, you can imagine why! It is breath taking during spring time!

Givinya De Elba said...

Great picture. Sorry your lovely tree might go :(

pam said...

I've never heard of such a tree! Do you have photos of it?