Saturday, November 22, 2008

A thing of beauty is a joy forever



This teacup and saucer may not look like much - especially since I have posted a photo that can really only be the arse-end of it - but it is beautiful and special to me.

My Grandmother - who turns 90 in February - gave it to me. It was purchased by her mother, my Great-Grandmother when my Grandmother was a child. When it was purchased it was already over 100 years old. Apparently there was a store which was closing down and my Great Grandmother bought it in the closing down sale. This was probably in about 1930 or so. It is nice to think that some things just don't change and that stores have been having closing down sales forever.

Anyway my Grandmother inherited it from her mother and she has given it, and it's twin, to me.

I am a little bit scared to use them. I use the china I have that is 100 years old all the time but these are almost 200 years old. It seems unlikely that I would be able to replace it if it broke.....

2 comments:

Hippomanic Jen said...

I would love to see what they looked like from the side! I don't know, all the fancy-schmancy china people ALWAYS want to look at the bottom. I want to see how pretty it is!

Dee said...

I woould be a bit scared to use it too! what a lovely heirloom to pass on