Sunday, November 09, 2008

Housedress

Everyone has their favorite clothes. My favorite clothes at the moment are my two house dresses.

I have has house dresses since I was in my mid teens. I bought two cotton dresses that looked a lot like sacks and then grew too tall for them. So they were then sack-like and prostitute short. Clearly my mother would not let me wear them out of the house - so they became house dresses.

In case you don't know, a house dress is a comfortable dress that for some reason or other can only be wore around the house. The reason it should not and can not be seen outside the home varies. It could be a bleach stain, an ill-placed tear or, as in my case, it is in some way indecent.

The reason that these dresses are kept, and not discarded, is generally because they are comfortable. Oh so soft (after being washed a thousand times) and oh so comfortable to wear.

My two original house dresses lasted me until about three years ago. I threw them both out in a wardrobe cleanse and I have been sorry ever since.

This year I decided I needed some new house dresses. It seems that for me they always come in pairs.

I bought one in the post Christmas sales. It is 100% cotton, navy blue, and has really big pockets. I think that, if I am honest, it is probably a top. But I love it. I wear it around the house in summer when it is hot and I am cool. The down side is that I can't really answer the door in it and I have to put shorts on with it to go outside to hang out the washing (or put another way, I should put shorts on with it to go outside and hang out the washing).

My other house dress I got more recently. It is 100% cotton, with navy blue and gray horizontal stripes (I know - fashion suicide), it has pockets on the front and a tie at the waist. Unlike my other housedress this one is quite long which it makes up for by being way to low at the front. But on the plus side I can answer the door in it so long as I don't bend forward.

It is great to have something so comfortable and soft wear when I am doing jobs around the house or studying.

So now you know, if you come around unexpectedly to my place, there is a reason I take so long to answer the door....

2 comments:

Givinya De Elba said...

I reckon you could probably bend forward when you answer the door unless it's low in the bust or if you have a mirror behind you ... :)

Dee said...

I love my house dresses! Sadly two were ragged recently, the rips were just too big and showing parts they should not show. I have replacements now!