Friday, November 07, 2008

The assignment is over

Finally the assignment has been completed.

I am so relived that it is over. It was horrible, or more specifically the topic was horrible.

My assignment was partly on wrongful life claims. This is the claim that where a Doctor fails to diagnose a condition which leads to a child being born disabled the child should be able to sue the Doctor for wrongful life. i.e. because the Doctor did not diagnose the condition the child was not aborted as it should have been.

Wrongful life claims are not recognised in Australia or the UK but are in some other jurisdictions.

Reading case after case about children born severely disabled who are suing on the assumption that it would be better if they were not born made me sad. I am probably the only person in my course who found it so upsetting.

Anyway the upshot of this post is that despite the tears that this topic caused me to shed in distress and frustration, it is completed. I don't have to look at it again.

2 comments:

Hippomanic Jen said...

I would have found it hard, too. I can't believe the person born disabled would sue. What a terrible burden to carry if I wished I had never been born.

Givinya De Elba said...

Oh wow. I'm with you and Jen, LDHBE. That's very sad. I have met many people born with disabilities who love and cherish their lives.