Monday, March 16, 2009

Newsworthy

The local paper in Brisbane is truly horrendous so I have taken to reading the Sydney papers - they are a much better quality and have actual news not just human interest stories about pet mice who can surf. I know that sounds like it was a joke but that was actually in the news here last year.

It is sad that a city of 1.8 million people can't support one decent newspaper.

The news at the moment is particularly ordinary because of the state election due to be held this Saturday. I am quite tired of the political adverting. I had decided who I would vote for before the election was even called so it is not affecting my vote, although it is affecting my temper.

In addition to the normal political criticisms and banter there have been some very risque photos of one the more ordinary female candidates in "various stages of undress". Who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to buy these for $15,000 and put them on the front page of the paper?

2 comments:

Givinya De Elba said...

The Brisbane paper is truly ghastly. I check the website daily, but only read the real news. Even that bores me. Then I read the local Toowoomba paper.

The only things that go on there (that are worth reporting apparently) are the shocking road and farm accidents.

Can you believe a full-page on one accident out of town - nobody killed, but in-depth descriptions of which car did what, and which emergency worker commented what ...

I was nearly in tears, reading the local paper.

There are a lot of vocal Christian-bashers too.

Hippomanic Jen said...

I try to avoid most forms of 'news' for much the same reason. I like radio news because what is in it isn't usually prioritised by what footage/photos they have to go with it.

Soooo fed up with election rubbish, particularly when they try to make it like American Presidential/Governor - voting for either Anna "I" or Lawrence "the Borg", when most of the state have to vote for their OWN candidates.

Hasn't actually made me as mad as the Federal Election a few years ago because I'm actually in Lawrence's electorate. He is one of the choices I could choose to make. But most people in the state don't have that option.

Techically whichever party that ends up in the majority could then vote for whichever person they felt like at the time for Premier. It could be Pauline Hanson (but probably wouldn't be).

Parliamentary system, people!

Gee I feel better having got that off my chest!