Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Water anyone?

I used to drink a lot of cordial. In the last year I have stopped. I have always known that I should drink water and not cordial but I never really liked the taste of water. It tasted bland and yuck - nothing compared to the sugary goodness of orange cordial (my favorite).

When I first did weight watchers I swapped from regular cordial to diet cordial to save on the calories and sugar. That was fine and I got accustomed to the taste very quickly.

Recently I have been reading about how bad artificial sweeter is for you. And I know that pretty much everything is bad for you in some way or other but does make sense that a synthetic product designed to mimic the sensation of sweetness without the kilojoules would be bad.

I thought about going back to regular cordial but I didn't want to add the calories back to my diet. I couldn't decide which type of cordial to buy; diet or regular. And because I couldn't decide I didn't buy anything. So I started drinking water.

And do you know what I discovered? Water actually tastes good. It was just that my taste buds were all stuffed up from drinking too many sugary drinks and didn't like the water. Now they are retrained not to expect sugar the seem to quite like water.

Water anyone?

3 comments:

Hippomanic Jen said...

Welcome to the water wagon.

I've always been a cold drinks drinker. I only just started drinking tea this year (and still need sugar in it!) and that's just to be socially acceptable or if it's freezing cold.

I also hate the thought of synthetic sweeteners, and also want to keep down my sugar intake (although it is a natural product).

I drink lots of water. Some things I have used over time for a bit of a change:

1. Freeze lemon or lime juice in ice cubes and add to my water (or put a little in fresh if you have it).
2. Put some mint leaves in your glass.
3. Current favourite for a change is Soda Water and pear juice. It is a little calorific (depending on the ratio you like), but sometimes a girl just needs a change. It can be very dry.

Anonymous said...

I quit drinking sugary drinks and water is pretty much all I drink during the day, mainly because I was afraid that every single one of my teeth were going to rot out of my head after all my bad tooth experiences this year (yep, one tooth causing me a bucketload of trouble!). I agree about the synthetic sweeteners thing as well. They really are very bad for you.

Swift Jan said...

Water is my main drink... next to coke :S