Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Golden Key


Well it turns out that being academically brilliant has advantages, I have been invited to join the Golden Key International Honour Society.

I had not heard of the Society before so I immediately imagined that they all get dressed up in club colours and drink Port. Which, quite frankly, sounds great.

On further investigation though it seems this is a society which aims to provide opportunities for its members to gain skills to help them get jobs. As the website attests "Member benefits range from scholarships and development opportunities to jobs and internships. Through Golden Key, members are empowered with tools to help them realize their potential."

After reading through the website thoroughly I think they should rename the society "Overachievers Anonymous" and there should be a 12 step program to help these poor people with study/life balance. I notice that none of the people they hold up on pedestals make any mention of family or children. I doubt anyone who is member will ever understand the joy of leaving work at 5 pm and letting every thought of work leave your brain as you exit the building. It is truly a wonderful thing and the more you get paid, the harder it is to achieve.

Anyway, I have decided that the Golden Key is not for me. Mostly because it is really aimed at school leavers who are undertaking tertiary study and need an edge to get a job after finishing their study. And by the looks of it if that is the purpose people join for it is probably well worthwhile. The reality is though, that I am not 17 and I already have a job, so for me this invitation to join is not the Golden Opportunity they claim.

4 comments:

Givinya De Elba said...

Wow! Congratulations on being invited! That's cool, but your reasons for not joining sound pretty sensible.

Hippomanic Jen said...

Well, you are now a bona fide clever chick whether you take up the invitation or not.

But to do it while working and studying and having real life committments is an even more wonderful achievement.

Femina said...

I had invitations to join them too. I felt pretty special until I realised that (a) they send invitations out to the top 15% of unit students, which in itself is great (being in the top 15%) but that makes for a HUGE number of people getting 'exclusive' invitations; and (b) the invitation included a request for money.

Oh yeah, and (c), which is that they are indeed an Overachievers Anonymous group. I checked out the website too and I just couldn't imagine any of those people being willing to skip a lecture with me in order to snaffle the last two pieces of cheesecake in the uni cafe. :)

You can, however, be very proud of being in the top 15% of all uni students in Australia. That's pretty awesome.

Joce said...

I second all Femina's comments... though skip "the cheescake" to... "free saussage sizzle" I was poor while a uni student (in the top 15% of the country... but I only managed it in first year... Life got a lot more "realistic" after that... and the grades followed suit!

And well done for resisting the temptation, your reasons sound a lot more admirable than mine were at the time... (no extra cash!)