Monday, May 21, 2007

Doctors waiting room

I have had a sore throat since last Wednesday. Unfortunately all three of my work colleagues are on annual leave - they are holidaying in WA, NT and Alaska. Meanwhile I am stuck at work doing everyones jobs. Which was fine - until I got sick. When you are the only one there you really can't call in sick and besides last week I had a workshop on Wednesday and Thursday that I couldn't miss. So I have plodded along and continued to go to work. I thought that if I got to the weekend and had a very quiet weekend I would be able to shake whatever it was that was making my throat sore and my joints ache.

So I had a very quiet weekend. We only went out three times : Friday night for a great Lamb Roast with Cam and Ness (Thanks guys); Saturday to buy some bedside lamps and Sunday to go to lunch at a friends place. The rest of the weekend I rested, slept, napped and watched tv. Overall very relaxing and perfect getting better environment.

But NO. I didn't get better. I am still sick and still waking my long suffering husband up in the middle of the night coughing and spluttering.

So today I went to the doctor. I made an appointment for 8:20. It was an express appointment which goes for 5 minutes and the doctor bulk bills at a rate of $60 (aprox). I arrived at 8:15 to ensure I was on time for my appointment. I was sent to a special waiting room across the hall near where my doctors room was. At 8:17 another girl - who looked very sick - joined me in the waiting room. After 15 minutes she started crying quietly and lay down on the floor. I resolved to let her go before me when the doctor came....30 minutes passed. I started to worry about getting back to work.....I decided that I really needed to see the doctor and girl on the floor could wait. Eventually the doctor did come. She took one look at the girl on the floor and took her into the room. At this stage I was very angry. How dare that girl be so sick! Why didn't I think of lying on the floor - perhaps I could do that now? After a few minutes of serious thought I decided against lying on the floor since it would be obvious I was copying other girl. Another 25 minutes passed........Doctor came to see me.

I let the doctor know how angry I was by saying..." well that must be my record of the longest time I have waited for a doctor. I waited for an hour and ten minutes" The doctor nodded and smiled sweetly.

The doctor was very nice though and very thorough. Tested my blood pressure - which was surprisingly good given my ongoing rage at waiting so long. And gave me lots of things to take and do to help my sore throat. Hopefully I will be bright eyed and bushy tailed again by tomorrow........

No comments: