Wednesday, July 28, 2010

New napery

Apart from antique china my next favorite collectable is napery. I have a small collection of tablecloths and place-mats. Some of these are family heirlooms that have been passed down from my grandma and others I have purchased on trips overseas.

Many years ago when I went to Scotland with my Mum and Grandma, my Grandma was kind enough to buy me half a dozen lavender place-mats with thistles on them and matching coasters. In my more recent vist to Scotland I found them again and bought another 4 of each so I now have a set of ten.

A couple of years ago I went crazy in Hong Kong and bought a massive red linen Christmas tablecloth with matching napkins, as well as a dozen red linen Christmas place mats with matching napkins. I have used both sets but in retrospect it was sort of silly to buy things that I can really only use once a year ( or twice if I have Christmas in July). Having said that though, Christmas is one time I consistently want to set the table up nicely so at least they do get used.

I also bought a couple of white patterned hexagonal place-mats in Biot (a small hill top town in the South of France). These are beautiful and I adore looking at them but because they are white I am too afraid they will get damaged to use them. I think I have used them twice, which is a pity because they are just so beautiful.

On my most recent trip to Europe I bought at the Provencal markets in Bedoin (near Avignon) a large creamy-beige linen tablecloth with pictures of roosters on it. I know that sounds hideous, but it looks really classy. I am hoping that the color and the pattern will mean that I am not so reluctant to use it as the white place-mats described above.

I also bought a quilted bedspread in the traditional Boutis style (though probably made in China) in Provence at a small town near Avignon called Vaison-La-Romaine. It is white and beige and beautiful. It looks similar to this one but without the floral pattern.

3 comments:

Hippomanic Jen said...

Hey, I love complimentary collections! Sounds great to me.

My Mum did me a beautiful cross stitch table cloth for my 21 birthday. It is gorgeous, but our table is now too big, and the dinner set Mum & Dad gave us for an engagement present is white and doesn't go very well with ecru. *sigh* I have, however used the pretty tablecloth cross ways across the table with a blue (one of the colours in the stitched design) bigger tablecloth underneath. Sort of works.

So I'm all with your collection of multiple pretties.

Nathan said...

My wife and I like using quilts on our bed, but because we're so cheap, we have a hard time finding ones that aren't hideous and still fit within our budget. The one you described sounds great, and I hope you enjoy it.

Katie said...

There were always gorgeous embroidered tableclothes and napkins and things at my grandparents' house, due to the fact that my great-grandfather ran an embroidery design company. So I rather took it all for granted but I miss it now. I don't think it matters that you have a set that you only use once a year - that just makes it feel more important and gives a special occasion even more importance. It's lovely.