Saturday, April 18, 2009

Pure torture

Details of the "enhanced interrogation techniques" used by the US have been in the news this week. It is so awful that this sort of treatment would be accepted and acceptable by such a large influential nation such as America. Although I am sure there are many people in America who are horrified by the news.

I find it unacceptable that one person could treat another person in such a way.

But it seems that this is the way that the world views people who have made big mistakes. Even in Australia peoples rights are taken away if they do something wrong (break the law). For example, prisoners in for longer than three years lose their right to vote in elections during that period.

I think it is sad that society spends so much time and effort punishing law breakers and such little effort in trying to re-rehabilitate people. I mean what good does forcing someone to go to prison do? If it was meant as a disincentive to commit a crime in the first place then clearly that is not working because prison populations continue to increase. Current Australian laws give judges very little discretion when it come to sentencing - many crimes now have mandatory prison time.

I realise that rehabilitation programs do exist and that some have success with offenders - especially young offenders. However I would prefer to see a system that better recognised and addressed the issue behind the offense rather than focusing on punishment.

1 comment:

Givinya De Elba said...

I was all set to post some thoughtful comment when Sonny Ma-Jiminy punched me in the stomach (nowadayws I call that 'punching me in the BABY') and I started becoming very pro-jail for the under-5s who drive their parents nuts.

Sorry, no Thinking Woman's comment here.