Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The novel

I love to read. I love to enjoy a good story that gets me thinking and introduces me to interesting characters and situations. I have been trying to cut down on the amount I read while I am studying but once I start a book I can't stop reading until it is finished (unless I don't like it of course). My attempt to read less has been wholly unsuccessful.

All the reading I have been doing has got me thinking about writing a novel. I have thought about it a few times before and really like the idea. I don't have a particular story that I want to capture. I would have to think of one before I started because I don't think I could make it up as I go along.

I had an interesting dream last night which would have made the basis for a great novel. When I woke up this morning I thought wow what a great dream - that would be a good book. I then proceeded with my day and have completely forgotten what the dream was about. I tried hard to remember. My ipod is flat so I spent 20 minutes on the bus home tonight trying to remember what had happened - but to no avail.

Perhaps I will sleep with a pen and paper on my bedside table tonight.

5 comments:

Givinya De Elba said...

The number of Great Ideas I've had that were lost because I didn't sleep with pen and paper on the bedside table! Stories, poems, blog posts ... sigh.

Kitty and Glen said...

Frau Muller used to keep a notepad and pen by her bed so she could write down her dreams each morning. Maybe you should do that? Though she was weird, so maybe not such a good idea.

Joce said...

If you really want to be a writer... just write... maybe one of your blog posts is a good start, keep a journal, carry a notebook EVERYWHERE... this is what I do... oh and I have a "novel in progress" if you at all interested. I started it in Japan a few years ago... but got stuck.. much of it is online though, its called "October's Child" and there's a link to it from my blog. Happy writing!!

E :) said...

I heard Dr Karl tell a funny story once. He thought of a great idea in a dream, woke up in the middle of the night, and wrote it down. Or so he thought. When he woke up in the morning and looked at the piece of paper on which he thought he had written the dream. Instead, he'd just written, "Write it down, write it down, write it down."

LOL.

Hippomanic Jen said...

I'm so with you on the slowing down my reading thing. I've had a few stories brewing in my mind for years, they aren't ripe yet, but I think blogging is good for improving the writing skills that will be necessary once they are ready to come out of the oven. Start dreaming (or do I mean day-dreaming?)!